Monday, June 16, 2008

The struggle against Mediocrity

Soo... this week I've been reflecting on my life, and also thinking about some friends--who shall remain unnamed. I see this recurring pattern of maybe when you're little having dreams of being a doctor, or teacher, or missionary or fireman and then growing up and either getting a decent job at a factory, or daycare, or retail store and settling. Just like that, done. How does that happen so easy? What happened to those dreams of wanting to help change the world? What happened to going for something big without worrying about "failure". What is "failure"?
I don't have a huge speech about following your dreams, but I think to some extent we should follow our "dreams". We have God on our side.
So what's the worst that can happen? Say we try teaching and then decide that we like working in a daycare better? At least we know that we tried, right?
I was reading Ephesians 4 and in verse one it says: "Walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called". And I just think of a lady from my church. When I was in high school she asked me what I wanted to do with my life and I responded that I wanted to do missions work, she then replied, "I used to feel like God was calling me to do that. Then I got married." And I thought to myself, I never want to have to say that! Even if I try it and God says he wants me to do something totally different I don't want to have to live with regrets. I want to make the most of every opportunity. Whether it's whitewater rafting in the jungle, or taking a few minutes to talk to a lonely old woman, or letting little kids paint my nails (or knuckles) 5 different colors. I'm here because God led me here, and I want to walk worthy of that calling. If I have to humble myself and apologize to my roomates for not being a thoughtful sister, then I will.
Maybe your calling is to be a youth worker, or a fireman, or a stay-at-home mom, I just want to challenge you, first of all to go for it!! Second of all to hold me and those around you to follow the dreams God has given them. Let's not settle for mediocrity when the sky's the limit. because God's on our side. Right?
So feel free to comment, good or bad on this blog...
Love you guys!!

2 comments:

Adam said...

I hear you. Chasing dreams, for some, makes them feel selfish. For example, if I wanted to pack up and more to Uraguay, I would need to make sure my family is safe, provided for, has a Spiritually nourishing environment there, etc. You're talking about our contribution to the world- for some people, their contribution is the 16 hours a day they are not at work. For some, it is a 24 hour thing for them- as it is with missionaries. For some people, me included at this point, I go to work to provide for my family, and then do things outside of my career to further God's kingdom. Not that I am not furthering God's kingdom at work, because I certainly try, but for me there are distinguished parts of my life. Does that make sense?

Katie Polcyn said...

es la verdad! y ahora estoy escuchando al cancion "for the sake of the call" pienso que Dios tiene un gran llamado por todos de nosotros y a veces estoy cansada de esperando y hago que yo quiero porque no me gusta esperar... quizas...