Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lessons learned as a surrogate soccer mom

I guess working with kids helps you understand your relationship with God a little bit better. Example, I usually know what's going to happen throughout the day and what needs to happen when and coordinate for everything to flow smoothly. Sometimes the boys don't really get that and have a hard time following directions for that very reason. (Translation: God sees the big picture and we don't, that's why sometimes what He calls us to do doesn't make sense.)

Second, I hear a LOT of whining. About everything! Consequences for bad decisions, having to go outside, having to stay inside, what's on the menu, having to wake up early, being bored, etc. (the list goes on and on...and on...!). When I was reading in my Bible about the Israelites it reminded me a lot of my kids. Then when I thought about it I realized that I do the same thing to God way more often than I would like to admit.

Lesson Three:
Even though it's happens to be that I get paid for spending time with these kids, trying to teach manners, character and social skills, I also deeply care about each one of them and want them to succeed. That's why I put so much effort into it. I want to protect them from evil people, and poor decisions. I pray that they become Men of God and give back to their people and communities. Last week I gathered a few siblings and friends and we went to see they boys play in their first league soccer game ( I toldmy co-workers that we are kind of like "soccer Moms" now!). They were surprised that I came out (since I wasn't working), but I tried to explain to them that it meant a lot to me to see them finally getting to do what they had worked so hard for. It's because I'm not about making their lives harder or giving them rules just to make my life easier. I do what I do because I want to help them grow and learn and do well. That's kind of an earthly summary of God's deep love for us--except He is perfect, so it's even better for us!

Four:
I really like it when these boys are happy. I laugh when they're crazy, we goof around when appropriate, and it just makes me really happy when they are doing well and feel good. On the other hand, when they're upset I feel for them. I try to empathize even though we don't have a whole lot in common. That's who Jesus is for us. A high priest who CAN feel what we feel because he went through what we go through. God sent him as a comforter for us to be with us.

No comments: