Friday, May 30, 2014

What is "Volunteer Summer"?

It's what you do when you only have 3 months in Ohio before you move to Bolivia!
This is what I've labeled Summer of 2014.  I applied for a job and then it fell through and I decided that three months is not very long to get to know and connect with hundreds of people... so I decided to let it be a volunteer summer!!

So this is what it has looked like.

Lots of good conversations over dinner.


Babysitting for friends’ kids.

Helping weed and plant flower beds.

Visiting widows and senior saints. (Mrs. E. is 94 years old and so awesome!)

Helping put in a fence.

Homeschooling.

Spring cleaning.

Playing frisbee.

Attending wedding showers, birthday parties, graduation celebrations and weddings (three coming up!!), Bible studies, etc.



Teaching 4, 5 & 6 grade girls Sunday School.

Sharing at kids’ corner (story time at Sunday evening church service).

Holding babies.

Telling stories...
and listening to stories.

Bonfires.

Meeting with my pastors.
Lots of adventures

 Filling the gas tank!



etc...
  
I couldn't have asked for more.  It really has been an incredible time of learning how to love others, listen to others, and serve others.  I hope I’m being a good student-because this is really good to know. (And so fun!)
It's been really neat to have the time to go visit people-just for fun.  It's sweet to have the freedom to help with little things to make life a little easier for my friends. It's sweet to be around to celebrate milestones in the lives of those I care about. 
I’ve got a plane ticket to Bolivia!  I’ll be leaving Ohio June 25, and my heart is just so sad to think of leaving this place.  I really am so overwhelmed by the kindness of those that have taken me in, fed me, encouraged me, prayed for me, and who spur me on to go do what God is calling me to.  It really does mean the world to me. 

In case you didn't know, I'll be in Santa Cruz Bolivia for 18 months finishing up some classes (the rest of the course I started in Missouri--in Bolivia though, since that's where I will serve, Lord willing).  I will learn more about phonetics, linguistics, literacy, teaching, medical care, translation, etc. I'm in Ohio for relationship building and "partnership development"--which is raising a team of encouragers, supporters, and friends to keep me going, and who hopefully will realize their hugely important role in seeing the world reached with the Gospel. I hope to represent you all well, and recognize the role you play in getting me where I'm going-both physically and emotionally.  God made a whole Body so we work together to see the task finished.   


No comments: