Tuesday, December 4, 2007

New Jobs

I feel like things are changing all the time (so frustrating at times!), so I might as well keep you updated.

Okay, first off, I will not deny that moving cross country is an adjustment. it's kind of a HUGE adjustment. Mainly just not having any friends here (besides my wonderful family). But I am meeting some people and church and work. Plus, my Aunt and Uncle just moved to San Antonio with their two little ones. They're still family but not quite so immediate (if you know what I mean)! It was so nice to get to see them! We went to the museum last week with my grandparents and my aunt and uncle and her parents. It made my day!


Second: work is challenging. I had forgotten how tricky it was getting a job. It wasn't so much getting a job, but getting one that fit me. I worked at IHOP for a week and was pretty disappointed with the hours, the really low pay (I'd make like $12 in tips and work three hours before they sent me home because it was so slow). So I began praying for a better job with more...shall I say...uplifting co-workers. (I can't really handle too much yelling, complaining, and gossiping.) So the day I began sincerely praying for a better job TSC called on Friday(I had interviewed with them the week before and they wanted someone more long-term) and said they wanted me to come work there even if I could only work there until February. So I was very happy. They were so nice and flexible. The manager's dad was actually a baptist pastor! Then a local department store called me back on Saturday-after I quit at IHOP-to see if I could still come work for them a few evenings a week. So all that to say that I'm in training again. Hopefully this works out a little better!

Bizzy and I are car shopping. It'll be her car but I'll drive it until I leave. Think we might get a JEEP!! I've always wanted a jeep. :) I'll keep you posted.

I'm at about 53% of my support! Woohoo. Sunday night I went with my parents, Jon, Bekah, and Bizzy to the annual Christmas/Missions banquet. It was so inspiring. I just wanted to leave right away! Here's a REALLY good song that I rediscovered there. (or you can copy and paste this link) http://free.napster.com/nweb/view/artist/index.html?id=12016749. Both songs are good but my current favorite is "Our heart". Enjoy! :)
I'm currently reading a book about Elizabeth Elliot's first year as a missionary. She was a single woman working in Ecuador doing translation with the Colorado Indians up in the mountains. It's pretty interesting stuff. (And can I just say that I hope I don't ever have to do an autopsy on a dead man?!) This is a quote I read today that she wrote right after her language partner was murdered. She was so deeply distraught and felt as though her work was finished. She couldn't understand how God could take away her only language partner. As she struggled with the truth that God had a sovereign plan she wrote, "Faith's most severe tests come not when we see nothing, but when we see a stunning array of evidence that seems to prove our faith vain." Whoa. The book is basically her journal chronicling struggles, experiences and challenges from her first year as a missionary. I imagine that 'though raising support, surrendering to God's call, trusting Him to provide finances and the way for me to finish up things here in the USA provides many tests of faith, I know that once I get there I will quite possibly be faced with more numerous and more intense struggles. I prayed to have more faith, so here we go! I very much appreciate your prayers, encouragement and support that you have continually showed. You guys give me plenty of reasons to be thankful!! Love you!

No comments: